Thursday, April 1, 2010

I can dance (by nikki)

Okay, so we are on day 18 of the 60 day yoga challenge. I am in sort of groove when it comes to practice every day. I don’t stress out about “How am I ever going to get to the end of this challenge” – I just take it one day at a time. If I don’t plan out the class I am going to take, I just end up doing a DVD at home. I still think “Man, I really want to skip out on this today” – but the next thought is “But, I won’t, so how and when *WILL* I practice Yoga today?”. The sore muscles I had my first week have mended and become stronger, but new pains and twinges are surfacing. My joints hurt. My elbows, wrists, ankles, shoulders and spine. I know it has to do with proper alignment, perhaps rushing in/out of poses, overextension of the arms and legs, and ‘sagging’ into poses instead of using the correct muscle groups to hold strong. I will work on that with intent these coming days and weeks.

My current plan is to take classes on Monday, Tuesday and Saturdays, and the other days practice at home. I am not sure when I will go back to that Hot Flow class. I don’t want to be bested by the class and not return out of fear. But, to be honest I am scared to death to go back! Before the end of the challenge, I will try it again, but for now I am putting it on the back burner.

I went to my Monday class and it was amazing. It was tough and challenging , yet the instructor is so nurturing and helpful. The energy in the class was also really flowing . . . but I didn’t really realize it until after class was over!! Everyone felt it and was commenting on what a great class it was. I’m not I can even articulate what was so great about the class, but it was just what I needed.

I bought some new DVD’s this week: Yoga Trance Dance and something like “Yoga for Happiness”. I haven’t tried the Yoga for Happiness, but from what I can tell it’s a hippy surfer yogi instructor, which I think is going to be hilarious! Now I did try the Yoga Trance Dance and its as ridiculous and funny as it sounds! Imagine you’re back in college, in your friends basement, listening to The Dead Can Dance or some other trippy music and you have a spontaneous dance party and you’ve pretty much got it! But its great fun and different, which is good. Its like a guided meditation while dancing! There are segments that seem more Yoga related that I haven’t tried yet, but the trance dancing is liberating while kind of embarrassing! Its exploring all the different ways your body can move and since I have never really been much of a dancer of any sort – its challenging for me!
This weekend I am going to a workshop for yoga resotoration and deep relaxation! Sounds like fun!!!
namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment