Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Challenge! (by Crystal)

I'm not sure what started this, but I know who started it. Nikki. Nikki is devoted to shaping herself into a healthier person, and she knew I was looking for a hobby. She probably also knows that I should be devoted into making myself a healthier person.

One day, I received an email asking if I would be interested in doing a 60-day yoga challenge like the one she saw on Oprah. I didn't watch Oprah or read the link she sent, but I agreed to it anyway. I love yoga, and I feel better when I make a habit of doing it. I thought -- 60 days of yoga? Sure. I can do that.

Nikki has been going to classes, and I'll let her tell you all about them. I set up a studio at my house, and will be mixing in a few classes here and there. I have a less-predictable schedule than Nikki, so being able to set myself up at home made this process more do-able. I intend on posting pictures of my studio and reviews of some of the at-home practices I've been doing in the near future.

Our rules are as follows:
- do yoga (any style, any level) for 45 minutes at least 6 days a week.
- do yoga (any style, any level) for 15 minutes no more than once a week.

The rules are basic, but the committment, one week into it, is surely a challenge!

I've done mainly Ashtanga flow classes thus far. I threw in a neat Kundalini class the other morning, and this morning, I found I was able to guide myself, in silence, through a complete 45 minute practice that actually had me sweating! I'm not sure I intend on changing my WHOLE life through the challenge (as Oprah's blogger wanted), but a daily devotion to my body and breath just might have that kind of result.

On the blog, Nikki and I will be posting our observations, experiences, challenges, successes, and perspectives on all things 60-day, yoga, and challenge related.

Remember, breath is life. Namaste.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome!! I really should do this with you - I will try - but I tell you right now, I am NOT doing hot yoga. I'm pretty sure they'd have to call an ambulance for me.

    I'm proud of you girls for starting this, and I know you can finish it! :)

    Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete